Okay. So, today I pointed out to the nurse that he's been the same weight for three days. (See Aidan's Medical Log.) She left to ask the doctor about it, and the doctor came in to "point it out to me" not fifteen minutes later. True story.
She follows this 'revelation' up with, "this [lack of weight gain] is not in the column of things that are okay." As a result of this lack of weight gain (seemingly otherwise unnoticed until I arrived), she decided to increase his feeds to 30 mL each. In addition, she discussed the possibility of adding beneprotein to his breastmilk, along with the vitamins and calories that are already being added.
She went on to say his "lung injury is considerable." (Um, excuse me? Beg your pardon?) She mentioned several other diagnoses of Aidan's that we'd also not yet heard like Pulmonary Insufficiency of Prematurity and Respitory Distress Syndrome. Probably in response to my shocked blank stare, she stressed that it is not yet Chronic Lung Disease because that is not diagnosed until the 36 week mark.
I should also mention that this doctor was casually rattling everything off at approximately the speed of light. I can't process regular conversation this fast, and she's rattling off medical jargon at me. However, I saw no point in asking her to slow down to explain things to me. As she talked, I scribbled down notes like a first day medical intern, and only interrrupted her to make sure I had the names hyperlinked above written down correctly. Now that I have Googled all of these terms, you can be assured I will have some follow-up questions for her tomorrow.
Yesterday, when I asked about the increase in oxygen dependence, a different neonatologist reassured me that his lungs "sounded crystal-clear" and that he is "headed in the right direction." Put your hands in the air, everybody! Wheeeeeeeeeeeee!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


2 comments:
Erica, it has been 23 years since Austin and Eric were in the NICU in New York. Because of the rapid advancements in neonatal medicine, Aiden will never face some of the lingering medical issues that the boys did. I am thrilled for Aiden.
What I can't believe is that after all these years, your interactions with the medical people mirrors my experiences, almost exactly.
Just after Eric's chest tubes were put in, I bent over him tears rolling down the domed sides of his incubator. Yes, the nurse asked me why I was crying. At least I realize now that the question was standard operating procedure.
When Eric's lungs collapsed the doctor was gesturing wildly and talking so fast that I had trouble understanding if he was telling about a bad thing or a good thing.
When we met with the doctors about the test results on the brain bleeds, the neonatologist spent at least 60% of the conference emphasizing that there was absolutely so way, under any circumstances on earth that either boy would ever, ever be an athlete. Yeah but, other than not being jocks, what can we expect?
By the way, our whole NICU experience with Eric and Austin was a bit like a ride in a single prop plane in a hurricane, minus the propeller.
Love to you all.
Erica, I just want to thank you and Corey both for sharing the life of your newest son with us all! Corey has always been such an important person in my life and I am so thankful to you for allowing him to be a part of my life! I can remember when he told me you guys were pregnant again and how excited I was! Nathaniel is so beautiful to me and I could not wait to have a beautiful little Speaks' girl also... so the news that Corey's son needed prayers (months before your due date) brought be great distress as to what was wrong with little Nathaniel!! I am so excited to hear that Aidan is doing well and that he is home in Raleigh. I cannot imagine what you are going through, but it is very important for me to let you know that I pray for you guys daily! You have such a beautiful family and I cannot wait to see the newest family portrait!!
Love, Morgan Lea
Post a Comment