Sunday, April 12, 2009

The Easter Elephant

Corey brought Nathaniel and Aidan this past week to a co-worker's son's Easter Party, held at his grandmother's house. (It was in the morning on a school day, so she and I had to teach and could not partake in the frivolity.) Anyway, when I come home from school, Corey always has to dash out the door to work. There is a fast 'changing of the guard' where little snippets of the day are exchanged. This particular day, I asked after how the party went, and Corey said Nathaniel had a blast: he dug in dirt, he colored eggs, he played with Lego's, etc.

When Nathaniel woke up from his nap, I asked him about what he did at his friend's grandma's house. I didn't really get an answer. So I prompted him more specifically: "Did you dig in dirt? Did you color eggs? Did you play with Lego's?" After each question, he responded with a lukewarm, "Yeah".

Then, his eyes lit up. "An elephant!" he exclaimed.
"An elephant?"
"Yeah! This big!" (With his hand up very high.)
"A big elephant was there?"
"Yeah!"
"Really?!?"
"Yeah, Mommy!"
"You saw the Easter Elephant?!?"
"YEAH!" . . . and he trumpeted like one, just to polish off the effect.

"Huh. Wonder why daddy never mentioned it . . . Just imagine the size of the eggs!"

(Yes, I know elephants don't lay eggs, but neither do rabbits.)

No comments: